Monday, March 28, 2011

Can A Saved Person Be Lost

In the last 24 hours I have had at least three different people ask me this question.  Below are some thoughts on what it means to be saved and have security in Jesus and not in our ability to keep our own salvation.



Once I am saved, can I ever be lost?  Is “saved today, lost tomorrow” scriptural? 

This what God says:

I have EVERLASTING life.  John 3: 16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

I shall not come into judgment.  John 5: 24  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

He will in no wise cast me out.  John 6: 37  All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Those who have eternal life shall NEVER PERISH.  John 10: 28  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

There shall be no CONDEMNATION, no separation ever for the believer in Christ.  Romans 8: 8:1  There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.- 35  Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36  As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. 37  Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 38  For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39  Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I am part of His body.  Ephesians 1: 22  And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, 23  Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

I am a MEMBER of His Body.  Ephesians 5: 30  For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

He will FINISH the job.  Philippians 1: 6  Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

God is able to KEEP.  2 Timothy 1: 12  For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

I am kept by the POWER of GOD.  1 Peter 1: 5  Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

I am PRESERVED in Christ.  Jude 1  Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:

            Read Galatians 6:1 and 2.  Restore is a medical term meaning “to set”, as in the case of a broken arm.  This is a picture of the sinning Christian.  A broken arm is not amputated, even though it is painful, useless, miserable, uncooperative and disobedient to the head. But the same blood is in it as is in the good arm.  Apply this to the spiritual  experience of a Christian who has sinned. 

Galatians 6:1  Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. 2  Bear ye one  burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

Man cannot lose his salvation because we are saved by Jesus, not because we do not sin-

John 10:27  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29  My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. 30  I and my Father are one.

The immediate response is, "so you are saying that if you get saved you have a "get out of jail free card" to sin and live as you want.  The answer is found in Romans 6.

Romans 6:14-16  For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.  (15)  What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.  (16)  Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Salvation is not a license to sin but it is a radical transformation of the sinner.  

(2 Corinthians 5:17)  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Many people do not have a theological answer for losing your salvation but instead an intellectual one.  They do not understand how a person who is saved can sin and God allow them to be saved.  Instead they need to realize that God saved them as they were sinners, knowing full well what He was saving when He saved them in the first place.  

(Romans 5:8)  But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Eternal security is salvation.  If you are saved you are secure. If you are not secure are you saved?